Wednesday, January 30, 2008
Respecting aspirations and wishes expressed by Madheshi people during frequent struggles and movements for their equal rights, to guarantee equality, freedom and justice to every citizen of the country and to ensure Nepal as a federal democratic republic state with multi-party democratic system for governance ending all kinds of discrimination, the following agreement has been reached between the government of Nepal and United Democratic Madheshi Front with immediate effect.
The Content of the agreement is as followings:-
- All those who attained martyrdom during Madheshi movement will be declared Martyrs and proper relief will be provided by the state to those injured who have not received relief yet. At the same time expenses for treatment will be provided to the injured hurt during the movement and one million rupees will be provided to the dependent family of the declared martyr as relief fund.
- Accepting the wish for autonomous Madhesh province of Madheshi people and of people of other regions for autonomous provinces, Nepal will be a federal democratic republic state. In federal structure, distinct power-sharing between centre and provinces will be done on the basis of the list. Provinces will be completely autonomous and full of authorities. Keeping national sovereignty, unity and integrity intact, the federal structure as well as the detailed list of power-sharing between centre and provinces will be decided by the constituent assembly.
- The current 20 percent legal provision mentioned in the article 7, sub-article 14 of the Constituent Assembly Member Act (2054) will be increased to 30 percent.
- The government will mandatorily appoint, promote and nominate Madheshis, indigenous communities, women, dalits, from backward regions and minority communities to insure their proportional participation in all organs of state including security bodies.
- Proportionate, inclusive and entry in groups for Madheshis and of other communities will be insured in Nepal Army to make its structure national and inclusive.
- For peaceful political process, Nepal government and UDMF appeal all armed agitating groups to join talks and resolve all problems through dialogue. For this, Nepal government will advance immediate steps to create favourable environment. We appeal all to conduct the April 10 elections of CA in a peaceful, non-violent, impartial, clean and terror free environment.
- The Nepal government will immediately implement the 22 pt agreement between it and MJF August 13, last year releasing those under detentions and dismissing cases against Madheshi leaders and workers related to MJF and others.
- All agitations called by UDMF are withdrawn with immediate effect.
For (the implementation of) above mentioned subjects, all constitutional, legal, political, and administrative responsibilities will be of Nepal government. To monitor the implementation of this agreement the government will form a high level monitoring committee comprising government and UDMF representatives.
Rajendra Mahato, National President, Sadvana Party
Upendra Yadav, Central Coordinator MJF
Mahanth Thathakur, Chairman Terai-Madhesh Lokatantrik Party
From the government’s side,
Girija Prasad Koirala, Prime Minister